In Conversation With Jyotsna Yogi

Earlier this year, we had included Jyotsna Yogi in the list of the most promising newcomers who will be debuting this year. We recently caught up with an excited Ma Ta Timrai Hoon debutant to talk about the film, her modelling career and her personal life. Excerpts.

Neo: Your debut film is to release this week. How do you feel?

Jyotsna: Well, I am excited and happy and nervous at the same time. I have all the mixed emotions right now. This whole journey has been unbelievable and unexpected. I am just very happy.

Neo: So, how has this entire journey been like? Right from the start and now when the film is about to release, how do you see the whole experience?

Jyotsna: Throughout, my experience has been a very fluctuating one. But then, everyday was like a lesson because this was a new experience to me that has never happened to me before. From the contract signing to dubbing, I was learning new lessons everyday. At times, it would be tiring but I always used to be excited and looked forward to the shooting and work. I thoroughly enjoyed each and every moment of this whole process.

Neo: How was it working with the team?

Jyotsna: Everyday when we would be shooting, it would be like a hangout. Whenever we made mistakes, we used to help each other. We had a lot of support and help from the cast and crew as me and Aakash were new. And they would help us in so many things and motivate us. It used to be hectic working from the morning to the evening, but it was all worth it working with such an amazing team. Not only about this particular film, but they even taught us a lot about the film industry and how it works as well. We learned quite a lot from them. We started out as strangers but we are all good friends now.

jyotsna_mtth

From the set of ‘Ma Ta Timrai Hoon’

Neo: Talking about the lead actor, you have another debutant, Aakash Shrestha, opposite you. Tell us about him.

Jyotsna: Aakash is a very hard working guy and a quick learner. I saw a lot of development and improvement in his work throughout. During the initial days, he seemed nervous and did make mistakes, both of us did, but as the days passed, he started coming out as a confident and a wonderful actor. We used to correct each other when one made any mistakes. I enjoyed working with him a lot. We used to get along very well.

Neo: And how it working with your director, Shreeram Mahat?

Jyotsna: Even though he too is debuting as a director with this film, he didn’t actually seem like a newbie . He was extremely good with everything and has given his best. He was a good leader and it was a pleasure working with him.

Neo: You’re debuting with the banner of Sushmita KC and Anmol KC. How important do you think it is for a newcomer to be working with a prestigious banner for the big break?

Jyotsna: I think that the banner does make a difference and it plays quite an important role in launching an actor in the right way. I am not saying that the banner is everything and it doesn’t matter how the film is; but it’s a bonus if the film is good and it is made under a popular or prestigious banner. If there’s a good banner, it’s definitely a plus point.

Neo: How has Anmol KC’s support in the making of this film been? Did he use to pay visits during the shoots to see the progress of the film?

Jyotsna: During the shoot of our film, Anmol too was busy with the shooting of Gajalu so he couldn’t be at our sets most of the time. But he did use to come once in a while to see if everything is going well. It was our producer, Subash Thapa, who used to be present all the time and made sure that the shooting goes on without any problems.

Neo: Despite MTTH being your first film, it was not the first time that you were you involved in shooting as you’ve done quite a lot of music videos. What differences did you find while shooting for the film, as compared with the music videos?

Jyotsna: It depends on the type of team you are working with. When the team used the advance equipment like they do for a film, I used to get a feel like I am shooting for a film. But the easier part is, while working in a music video, it’s only about being in the character you are playing and you don’t have to speak. It’s easier in comparison and also, your work finishes in a day. But when you are working in a film, you shoot among a huge number of people and you take a lot of shots for even the smallest scenes. You work longer and for weeks, it used to get hectic but then again I had the opportunity to learn so much. After the movie shoot was done, and when I went back on working in the music videos, I found it much easier and I was more confident and comfortable.

jyotsna_kollywood

From the set of ‘Miss Kollywood’ music video

Neo: You did the music video ‘Miss Kollywood’ after you finished the shoot for the film, is that right? [Watch it HERE]

Jyotsna: Yes.

Neo: How was it working in that music video as you got to play a popular actress who has a huge number of fans and is loved by everyone? Did you wish it was all real? How was the entire experience?

Jyotsna: I absolutely enjoyed working in this music video. I actually did wish that someday it turns out to come true. The best part of the shoot was when my character attends an event and for me to get into the character well, the crowd there was made to cheer my name and they were like, “Jyotsna” “Jyotsna” “I Love You!”; and I really felt wonderful. In fact, I intentionally had them take three or four takes for that particular scene as I was totally loving the entire environment. It was a lot of fun! I really hoped that in real life as well it turns out to be true. Let’s see where my hard work takes me. And yes, my nick name is now ‘Miss Kollywood’ and some people do call me with that name.

jyotsna_vida_creato

For Vida Magazine; Photo: CREATO

Neo: Now talking about your modelling career, tell us about some of your major projects.

Jyotsna: I started out in the beginning of  2014 with the shoot for Vida Magazine. I did some ramp walks but later quit it as I was not much into it. But I did continue with other projects and shoots. I had the opportunity of working with Kishor Kayastha while shooting for Movers&Shakers cover twice and Wedding Bells. Both of those projects were pretty big for me and I learned quite a lot from them. I have worked for Yamaha, White Tara, Kuber Jwellers and some others as well. I am also the face of Red Velvet. Apart from these I’ve shot for Wow and Wave magazines recently. I have done some other works as well and each of them have been very special to me.

jyotsna_maleficent

Maleficent cosplay by Shreejana Shakya; Photo: Pawan Joshi

Neo: You did a Maleficent cosplay recently for Shreejana Shakya. That’s something we have rarely seen in Nepal. Tell us about the experience.

Jyotsna: That is definitely one of the most exciting things I have been a part of. It was an amazing project. Shreejana put on a lot of hard work for this one. The costume, horns, wings and the make-up; everything was done in a magnificent way. Normally, when you do a photoshoot, you just need to have that attitude it needs and pose according to the demand of the shoot. But, it was different with the Maleficent project. The most difficult part for me was that I needed to look evil with all those props on. The horns were so heavy that I could feel my head crushing. It was the most challenging one I have done so far. At some moment, I even felt like just taking off the horns and the wings and giving up but I eventually continued doing it as I knew that the results are going to be amazing.

Neo: Who is your favorite model?

Jyotsna: There are two – Sudishi Thapa and Soni Shrestha. I love them.

Neo: Do you watch Nepali films?

Jyotsna: Yes, I do. Not every single one but the one’s that I find interesting.

Neo: Which is the latest Nepali film that you loved the most?

Jyotsna: It has got to be ‘Jhola’. I just loved that film.

Neo: Who are your favorite actors and actresses?

Jyotsna: I like Priyanka Karki. Not just because she is pretty and popular but I genuinely like her work. She really has good acting skills and she can pull off any kind of character given to her. Her expressions are always on point and of course, she is a spectacular dancer. Talking about my favorite actor, I love Gaurav Pahari. His level of acting, his dialogue delivery and his on screen presence; I just love everything about him.

Neo: Do you have a dream role that you would like to play?

Jyotsna: I do have and there are quite a lot of them. I would love to play a character that makes people aware of the gender bias that exists in our society. Almost every woman has to face certain challenges in our society just because she is a woman. I would love to work in a film that gives a good message about the importance of gender equality.

Neo: Apart from films and modelling, you are a poet as well, is that right?

Jyotsna: Well, yes. I do try to write and I have recited some of my poems in a couple of events as well. So, yes, I do try and write once in a while.

Neo: You are a dog lover and we see your Facebook timeline is always filled with the awareness messages and the information about the dogs available for adoption. We just have one question, why?

Jyotsna: Yes, I absolutely love them. I myself have three dogs at my home. I feel more for the street and abandoned dogs to be particular. You know when you’re hungry and haven’t eaten for a day, how difficult it is. When you see all those skinny dogs in the streets who haven’t eaten for days and weeks, it doesn’t feel good. And for me, Facebook has become a great platform to spread my word. I have helped like half a dozen street dogs to find a home through social media so far. And I ask people to feed them when they see such starving dogs as it wouldn’t cost them a fortune. I always have some packets of biscuits in my bag with me and I do feed them whenever I go out.

Neo: At last, is there anything you would like to tell your supporters and well wishers?

Jyotsna: I just want to thank them all for the love they have been showering me with. Please keep on supporting me and yes, do watch my film and give me some honest feedback. Thank you!

Ma Ta Timrai Hoon is scheduled for its release on July 22nd. Watch the trailer.

 

We’ll leave you with some pictures of Jyotsna.

 

jyotsna_muskaan_bryan

From the shoot of ‘Muskaan’ music video; Photo: Bryan Rai

jyotsna_kishor

For Wedding Bells; Photo: Kishor Kayastha

jyotsna_wedding bells

For Wedding Bells with Namrata Thakur; Photo: Kishor Kayastha

jyotsna_brijraj thapa

Photo: Brijraj Thapa

jyotsna_essence_ravi shrestha

For Essence Magazine; Photo: Ravi Shrestha

jyotsna_mn_ravi shrestha

For MN Entertainment: Photo: Ravi Shrestha

Cover Photo: Anjil Maskey

 

 

The post In Conversation With Jyotsna Yogi appeared first on NeoStuffs.

Comments